Inappropriate use of art supplies--elementary level

---------

From: John and Diane Matthews (matthews_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 18:06:20 PST

I am in need of advice, suggestions or ideas.
I am in the 2nd year of teaching at a new district, and have found that the
upper elementary level students have great difficulty handling supplies
appropriately. For the most part I have taken care of most problems with
little or no fuse; however, I can not seem to get the students to treat and
use my erasers and pencils appropriately. Three times this year I've found
erasers "cut" in half or broke in half, and some just disapear. Pencils
are broke in half and this is all deliberate. I've caught two students in
the act and handled that no problem, but the others have slipped past me.
 I've bought replacements twice now! I have taken the use of erasers away
only to find it extremely difficult in the art room to do so. I've
monitored the use of the erasers like a hawk. And, yet after a three day
illness I return to a basket full of broken pencils, cut up erasers and so
on! My principal just rolls their eyes and shruggs their shoulders and
looks at me like I'm worried about such a small thing--a few erasers and
pencils--totally missing the "principle" of the situation. So, all of you
art people out there what would you do? I'm open to any and all
suggestions.
Diane Sedberry-Matthews
matthews@iland.net

---