hex signs

---------

From: Deb Mortl (dmortl_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 05:29:38 PST

Hi - I'm planning on making hex signs with my Art & Society craft class, but
can't find any history or reason why they are called "hex signs" - I've
found all about the history of the art, the symbolism behind the images, how
they were placed above the doors of the Pennsylvania dutch to bring good
luck to all who enter. But the dictionary meaning of "hex" is to cast an
evil spell on, or one who practices witchcraft. Does anyone know why these
well-meaning signs were given the name "hex"??? Thanks!