Re: Kid Stress RE: Honors Classes...starting in mid. school

---------

From: Judie (judiej50_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 23:15:01 PST

My students have been usually disrespectful--talk back, argumentative,
etc.--this year. Stressed out to the max--especially seniors. I try to be
understanding, but some take advantage of it, and I don't get quality work.
I don't want to compromise the art curriculum, so I stick to my
requirements. Seems they get a strong message that art isn't as important
as other subjects,

Judie J

> A large number of our kids have no consistent discipline in the home, and
>many are actively encouraged to strike out if someone does something to
>them. A simple collision in the hallway, can quickly escalate into a
>fight. Another fifth grade teacher corrected this child in the hallway,
>she refused to walk down the hall correctly. She was very disrespectful to
>the teacher. She was required to write a letter apologizing. Her mother
>came in and informed me that her child did not have to obey Mr. X because
>she didnt like him.

---