Re: Advocacy

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 15:15:11 PST

Our reading program for our kinders is "Animated Alphabet". Art is fully
integrated - students learn their alphabet/sounds by writing, drawing,
physical actions, and sounds (many are musical). I work closely with our
kindergarten teacher, so when she is studying the letter "C", I may do cut
paper Cookie Monsters, or perhaps draw Clifford. I also teach K-2 library
and the K teacher went to the administrator and got my schedule with her
class changed to 1 library per week and 2 art, instead of the reversed
classes I did have.

> Wow...I can't believe that would be in question. First of all...art is
great for fine motor development. Also it is a great place to experiment
and explore. I would start doing the research...because there is tons
relating to artistic development for younger children. You are looking for
research that is development with art education. Start with Lowenfeld. HE
did a tremendous amount of reserch. Also there are lots of studies out
there re: art and young children. Also, a person on our staff recently
wrote a book.....I belive the title is "Young At Art" which discusses
artistic development I think 18 months-age 6. Make sure you go in which
hard data and even some charts and graphs might help. Most school boards
are data driven. Something art folk have a hard time accepting...and you
have to meet them on their playing field.