Re: clay

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aheinema_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 03 2002 - 16:46:10 PST

Hi Lin,
    One project that works well with primary levels is a relief plaque that
incorporates a lot of impressed patterns and textures. The plaque does not
necessarily have to be rectangular or circular in shape. In third grade my
students make an octagonal shaped tile with geometric patterns inspired by a
study of Islamic art. A study of mosque tiles is very inspiring. The art
of the Alhambra in Spain is another source. In other years I have
collaborated with the classroom teachers on their units. One successful
lesson was a clay contour map of Africa as a plaque with the clay animals
attached to it. For older kids, during a year long study of Asian arts, we
made clay bells--different sizes for different tones and made a clay/dowel
rod mallet. We suspended the bells from a swing like framework of tree
branches and the bells do make a musical sound when hit with the mallet!

            Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus

> I need a new project for 2nd and 3rd graders (different for each grade)
> using clay. We've made masks, clay fish, and clay suns in the past. I
> want to try something new, but I'm drawing a blank. Any one doing
> something with this level that worked well?
>
> Lin

---