Kid Stress RE: Honors Classes...starting in mid. school

---------

From: kimberly herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 03 2002 - 15:52:14 PST

We have to give TAAS Endurance tests once a week, to prep the students
for the day long tests. I was praising my students for their hard work
on last week's reading test. When I announced the CLASS AVERAGE was a
91.5%, one of my 5th graders threw a temper tantrum. Seems anything
below a 95% is failing. I try to focus on learning, and improving. But
this one kid is stressing all of them out. An 11 year old cannot be
putting in all on herself. Her mother is a very disrespectful woman, and
it shows up in the child. A large number of our kids have no consistent
discipline in the home, and many are actively encouraged to strike out
if someone does something to them. A simple collision in the hallway,
can quickly escalate into a fight. Another fifth grade teacher corrected
this child in the hallway, she refused to walk down the hall correctly.
She was very disrespectful to the teacher. She was required to write a
letter apologizing. Her mother came in and informed me that her child
did not have to obey Mr. X because she didn't like him.

If this child doesn't calm down and follow the rules she is going to up
with a bleeding ulcer before she can drive (or be kicked out of school).

Kimberly

---