Re: Honors Classes...starting in mid. school

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 03 2002 - 12:00:37 PST

> Would you believe I'm seeing it in middle school too? Many parents are
> all-consumed with college futures in middle school and therefore almost insist
> their offspring take computers or foreign language as an elective instead of
> the arts. Competition and space is becoming so keen in getting into a good
> university. It's really scary. I just wonder where the trend will take us in
> the long run? I would hate being a child of one of these stressful parents.
> Toodles.....Bunki ---

Oh Bunki, glad to know you are seeing the same thing. I just ended a battle
with the Science department trying to get 9th graders into an accelerated
physics class and abrogating elective time. We in the elective area won for
now, but the problem is the parents of gifted kids wanting these leaps and
bounds in the program. And, laws that say they can have it.

I look at the kids, the good kids, and wonder how they survive the pressures
being put upon them. And I look at the "not so good kids" and wonder and
almost understand , why they turn to artificial stimulants to survive.

I know you are seeing it in the middle school. And it is very scary.
So what is the trend?

Patty

---