Re: Honors Classes...starting in mid. school

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 03 2002 - 11:16:14 PST

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

From: Patricia Knott <pknott@enter.net>
> A colleague was just telling me that her
> daughter, although she loves music and art, will not take any more
> electives because she's itching to become valedictorian, which means
> getting all the honors classes she can (it's very competitive at her
> school); the electives don't come in Honors flavor

I'm finding the same unfortunate situation in my district. Everything has
become a 'numbers' game and it seems to me the only thing the kids are
learning is how to play the numbers.......I ,too, am loosing good students
in the art classes to weighted classes. .....Very sad.Patty ---
Would you believe I'm seeing it in middle school too? Many parents are
all-consumed with college futures in middle school and therefore almost
insist their offspring take computers or foreign language as an elective
instead of the arts. Competition and space is becoming so keen in getting
into a good university. It's really scary. I just wonder where the trend
will take us in the long run? I would hate being a child of one of these
stressful parents. Toodles.....Bunki

---