Re: acrylic paintings- 5th grade

---------

From: Judie (judiej50_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 03 2002 - 06:07:19 PST

You might want to start out by telling them these supplies are more
expensive and special it is to be able to use "professional" grade
supplies. Perhaps have them use palletts (plastic plates work well)
(instead of yogurt cups) giving them each a dallop of each primary color,
and show them how to mix in small amounts and keep their original paints
clean. At the end of each class you can mist the pigments with a thin coat
of water and cover with saran wrap to keep moist.

Perhaps have them divide their paper (or canvas) in different sections and
paint some of the shapes using tempera and some acrylic to show the
differenct in how the paints appear.

Good luck.

Judie

>I have inherited a lot of acrylic painting supplies-- paint in tubes, acrylic
>medium, brushes, small palettes-- and want use some with my fifth graders
>because I think even the sight of these materials will get them excited. It
>looks a lot more like real artist stuff than tempera in a yogurt cup does.
>Are
>these guys too young for an acrylic painting unit? Most of them haven't had
>lots of opportunity to use paint in the past, and lots struggled with the
>(definitely simple) tempera painting assignment I used as a warm up in the
>fall. Can anyone share procedures or a lesson plan?

---