Re: HS-Final Semester Exam

---------

KSchiavo00_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Feb 02 2002 - 19:29:52 PST

In a message dated 02/02/2002 7:01:39 PM Pacific Standard Time,
whest177@wheatstate.com writes:

> I really like the 4 letter aspect of this project. How long did students
> have to work on these, and what level did you do them with?

My projects typically take 2-3 weeks depending on the size/media. The
Illumination project was part of the curriculum for my Art 3 (commercial art)
class.
In this project, each student chose a 4 letter word [smile] to illuminate.
The format was my decision (dictated by the display I had in mind). Each
letter w/images was approx. 3 x 9 -kind of an oversized bookmark.
They had to design the letters that match in style (but NO double letters
were allowed such as boot or here). We talked about symbolism but they
struggled with original ideas so I suggested they go with images that begin
with that particular letter- however they had to tie all letters together
somehow.
Grading was very objective- I gave specific requirements on the quantity of
images required, necessary repetition, media etc. They all turned out well.
My students were required to do 2 versions as I copied their designs on
watercolor paper in our workroom. One was done in prismacolors and the other
was done in watercolor. I wanted them to experience the watercolor but I was
afraid of the outcome -so I had them do both and they chose which one they
wanted to mat. You have a sample of each. Amid and Snow is a watercolor and
Rose is colored pencil.
Kathy in Kalamazoo

---