re: clay hazards story

---------

From: Numo Jaeger & Michael Miller (jaegmil_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 02 2002 - 13:12:43 PST

Wouldn't it be nice if common sense prevailed? There are aspects of
ceramics that are dangerous. The dust is definitely an issue if you don't
keep a studio clean. Ceramics can be basically safe or harmful.

First rule: Keep the space clean.

There are aspects of teaching science that are dangerous too. Do we stop
teaching science? That is why it is important to have people who are
knowledgeable and trained specifically in that area to teach it.

Perhaps ceramics should be taught as The Art and Science of Clay. There
certainly is a lot of great hands-on science in it. Science made really fun.

-Numo

---