Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: Teach at 3 schools want just 1

Date: Sat Feb 02 2002 - 11:48:44 PST

In a message dated 1/31/02 11:39:32 PM Eastern Standard Time, writes:

> I teach in the Fort Worth, TX school district at three elementary schools,
> third through fifth grade. Fort Worth did away with art in some of its
> elementary schools in the 90's. As a start, eighteen teachers were hired
> last year to bring art back to 54 schools. We are all being told we will
> eventually go full time at one school but I am afraid the board is getting
> used to people who will do the work of three teachers for the pay of one.
> Does anyone know of a district that did something like this and the people
> did eventually go to one school? I would love to give suggestions to my
> director of district to follow their plan.

Nine years ago my county (just east of Atlanta) started out with half time
art positions in about half of the elementary schools. Two schools would
share a teacher. The next year half time positions were created at the
remaining elementary schools. The third year ( I think) schools were given
the option of trading some of their T.A. hours for the other half of their
art position, only one did so. The fifth year ( 4 years ago) all schools had
full time art. Sometimes it seemed like it would never happen.
Ann in Georgia