re: clay hazards story

---------

From: LEO DAVINCE (ytsirk_uno_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 02 2002 - 08:51:14 PST

Our school district has decided to ban the use of clay
because of the miraculous discovery that clay contains
silica an known carcinogen and respiratory problem
causing substance. Obviously these people have not
taken a walk on the beach where the main component of
sand is silica. They must think that all classrooms
do sandblasting and create levels of dust equivalent
to a coal mines.
The whole issue revolves around "common sense" as has
been mentioned. Clean up and stressing proper use of
any material in our schools is very important. Let's
face it if tables were not wiped and cleaned after a
lunch period we would have all kinds of bacteria,
germs and who knows what else growing. Knowing that
food of all sorts can breed bacteria and moulds why
haven't they banned the use of food in our schools.
If you sit down and look at all the material you have
in the art room from crayons ( paraffin wax, oil
by-product) paints ( hazardous pigments ) glue ( read
the label for toxins you can't even pronounce) THEY
ALL HAVE SOME HAZARDOUS COMPOUND.