Re: 140# versus the 300# paper

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 02 2002 - 06:11:57 PST

Subject: From: Nnaell@aol.com
> I purchase Sax 140# student grade watercolor paper

that's what I buy as well...but, a limited quantity.
I do so many varied things from watercolored sketches in sketchbooks, or on
sheets from those rolls of white paper, to using cheap white tagboard or
even just 12" x 18" white sulphite drawing paper. I reserve the watercolor
for special isolated units, yet we do a lot of watercoloring exercises.

I'm also phasing out little by little having to slot money aside for little
replaceable cakes of watercolors in Prang sets, to just stickin' with my
temperas. I've got about nine rubbermaid ketchup type bottoms with caps
that I fill with tempera I mix up, have kids put torn or cut-up pieces of
freezer wrap paper taped down shiny side up and then I simply go around
(depending on age, or have them do it) and put about a nickle's size amount
of each color at the top of their sheet. They learn to add water and take
from the edge of the color on the palette. You can't get cheaper than that,
and tempera used this way acts no different than regular watercolors.

Larry

---