Gum turps

---------

From: Justin Kramer (justkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 02 2002 - 01:08:38 PST

 What is Gum Turps? How is that different from regular turps?

>> Gum turps behaves different from regular turps with xerox images - I know of
this process as carbon ink image transfer. Large art suppliers do supply it
but I find it cheaper to obtain the product from hardware stores. It is also
widely used in oil painting - very popular with uni painting students -
don't know why?.

The product may also be refered to as "gum spirits", but so far I have seen
it packaged under the name of gum turpentine.

There are different types of turps and these do behave differently when used
in art making processes with different medias. The other type of turps that
works well for carbon transfers is citrus turps which has a strong citrus
ordor.

Be aware that with these two products, the fumes may have a 'very pleasant
ordor', should be treated with caution and only be used in well ventilated
environments. No as potent as thinners though. However, use these products
with the same cautious as regular turps.

---