Re: Honors Classes

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 20:21:51 PST

> A colleague was just telling me that her
> daughter, although she loves music and art, will not take any more
> electives because she's itching to become valedictorian, which means
> getting all the honors classes she can (it's very competitive at her
> school); the electives don't come in Honors flavor

I'm finding the same unfortunate situation in my district. Everything has
become a 'numbers' game and it seems to me the only thing the kids are
learning is how to play the numbers.
I ,too, am loosing good students in the art classes to weighted classes. In
my district, AP classes are weighted as A= 4.8, Advanced classes A = 4.5.
as opposed to the "normal" A= 4.0. Traditionally, only the big 4 English,
Social Studies, Math and Science have had Advanced classes that are
weighted. It doesn't take a math wizard to figure out that if you take a
class with a weighted grade your GPA will be inflated.
We are trying to rectify the inequity, but to me it seems we are only only
assigning the label "honors" to classes that really don't deserve the label.
Ultimately, what it comes down to, is giving more credit than is deserved to
certain elective classes in order to maintain the program.
And teaching kids that it's the "numbers" that matter - not the content.

Very sad.

Patty

---