Re: 300# paper

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 08:22:01 PST

LEO DAVINCE wrote:

> This sounds like it would make sense, but I find it
> hard to picture anything weighting 300 lbs. especially
> paper.

Linda was correct when she wrote, "300# is the basis weight for a ream
of 22" x 30" watercolor paper."

> Of course I have never had to buy 300 lbs of
> watercolour paper so what do I know.

Most people wouldn't buy that much. You purchase sheets of the type
that fits your needs, not a whole 300# of it. Wow, wonder how much that
would cost?!

> Generally when
> buying watercolour paper it goes by the thickness and
> texture of the paper. The thicker the paper in weight
> the higher the paper number. A 400 paper would be
> thicker and more durable than a 100 paper.

Of course; that's why a ream of it would weigh 400 lbs. Take a look at
any paper, including drawing and bond papers; they list their basis
weights also. Copy paper usually weighs 20# or 24#. I like the 24# for
paper folding projects. I like 60# drawing paper because it holds up to
erasure, and can be painted on. Hope this helps...

Maggie

---