Re: Unruly Class and testing

---------

From: Heather Leal (rayleal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 19:31:57 PST

All this talk about having classes after taking the big standardized state
tests reminded me of something I did last year after our testing. Our kids
were really worn out, they get a lot of pressure put on them- I teach at a
middle school where most of the kids are second language English learners,
anyway I knew they would be frazzled. Instead of working on their regular
project I had them do drawings that showed what their brains looked like
while they were taking the test, metaphorically. I got lots of great pictures
of brains erupting like volcanoes, exploding like bombs, melting onto the
desk, all sorts of funny, descriptive drawings. Some who were really
frustrated found ways to show how confused they felt, thought bubbles filled
with letters, and numbers and scribbles all mixed together. I started them
off by reminding them of the commercial with the fried eggs and the saying
"this is your brain on drugs..." to help them think of ways to show how they
felt in a picture-
Just a thought since we all probably have testing coming up in our schools-
Heather

---