Re:Calder faces

---------

From: Vivian Komando (komandv_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 19:04:53 PST

We are doing Stabiles (mat board or foam core or clay -
their choice) and mobiles (recycled aluminum cans) now -
and we will be doing Faces after spring break with wire.

I demonstrate how to do a blind contour drawing. They do
several and then we pick the most expressive.I try to get
them to draw large for this because the wire is easier to
manage (life size portraits). I sort of guestimate based
on the drawing. Sometimes they have too much and
sometimes are short wire. We just loop the wire needed
onto the sculpture if they are shorted. We can improvise
a few more contours if they have extra (or cut it off and
use it with those that don't have enough.)

I use the Sax sculpture wire - easy to bend. When they
are completed, I use monofilament and hang them from the
ceiling tile brackets. They cast great shadows, too. For
the art shows, I mount them on black poster/mat board
with E6000 glue. It protects them for display and being
moved around by who knows who.

Vivian

=====
Increase the Peace ~^~ {^}Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope. Robert F. Kennedy