Re: Unruly Class

---------

From: Fran Marze (fmaiu+_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 16:46:37 PST

I have to agree with SAn D's comments about not using writing as a
punishment. I also noticed a lot of good advice. Sometimes we need to
realize that everyone has "bad" days. I think the classroom teacher should
have taken the students out for a break after the testing so they would
have been in a better frame of mind. Also, when things like this happen,
it may be a good idea to let them talk out their anxieties and take a few
minutes for this and then start the usual lesson. You may have a lost 10
minutes? but not an entire period. I also notice students of all ages
respond to humor or even the sharing of your feelings about topics.

I also agree with the person who saidto praise the good behavior.
Remember, a lot of what goes on with students (probably most of it!) has
nothing to do with us, our class, art, etc. so we have to try and turn
things around without getting too upset.Think about how the class normally
reacts and if this was unusual. Then, I say, don't get too bent out of
shape. I usually tell them the next day that they weren't their usually
wonderful selves and I was dismayed. I am trying to remember what it was
like with elem students; I haven't taught in the elem. school since
1980... But hs students respond to calmness and humor and their feeling
that you like them.

Fran

---