Re: Unruly Class

---------

From: Donald Peters (softsnow_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 15:30:03 PST

here's my two cents worth....

first, we have NO recess. Second, can't keep students after school (well,
you can if you want the parents yelling at you--and as I have had parents
threaten to kill me twice since I've been here--not worth it) third, it is
not unusual for my students to be living in a one bedroom house/apartment
with up to 15 other people--consequence, VERY HIGH noise tolerance.

this is how I handle the situation.... I change the seating chart often
(this helps to pinpoint those that are causing trouble, as they normally
cause trouble wherever they go) We talk a lot about respect (this is big
with my male students as they are always trying to save face)--respect from
them to me and respect from me to them. Lots of positive reinforcement
(verbal pats on the back)

I have some classes that come right after P.E. the older ones (6th grade)
are normally worn out while the little ones (1st and 2nd grade) are wound
up... Sometimes we have to have a calm down period... we put our heads down
and turn the lights off for 5 minutes. NORMALLY this works...

As somebody else mentioned, we talk about wasting time and for when they are
really bad, they'll get a 45 minute lecture on leadership and goals... they
hate these lectures and will do anything to avoid them... I focus on they
see the drug dealers and prostitutes every day. Do they want to end up like
that? That nobody can choose their path but them... so on and so on..

basically, you just have to keep changing your discipline line up and find
what works best for each class.

Donald Peters