Re: Unruly Class

---------

From: Sarai KosterMockeridge (SKosterMockeridge.MIDD_PO.CVILLE_DOMAIN_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 05:18:55 PST

I am not a big fan of using writing as a punishment. If you use writing about art as a punishment, you set teachers like me who regularly incorporate writing and reading about art and artists into the daily art experience.
I try to use the philosophy of logical consequences when dealing with student behavior. The logical consequence for wasting my time, is that I will waste their time, either holding them after class, having them come in at recess, or stay after school. I use the recess consequence the most explaining to the kids that they get 45 mn for art. If they use that time to talk, goof off, or waste time, then they owe my 45 mn. Recess is their time to play, ect so since they used my time to do recess stuff, I will use their recess time to have them do art stuff. The warning of this is 99% effective in deterring inappropriate behavior!

I also like the suggestion to have them talk about their testing experience, and perhaps draw (while talking if necessary) about the experience.
Good Luck,
Sarai

Sarai Koster-Mockeridge
Art Educator