Re: Unruly Class

---------

From: KPRS (kprs_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 03:36:13 PST

klpoos@hometel.com wrote:

> c. We
> were going to go back to their classroom and write sentences,
> "I will be quiet coming into art" 50 times. Their classroom
> teacher told me we couldn't use her room as this was her
> planning time and her room and I have to use my own room.

While I teach I highschool, I will give you my gut reaction to the situation.
Personally I would not have students write anything 50 times as a punishment.
I don't think it reinforces, or teaches them anything. What would I have
done? The key here is that they were all wired up after IOWA tests. I am
older than dirt, but still remember the anxiety of tests. I would have
probably scrapped the art lesson for the day (eeee Gads), and gathered the
class close in and had a 'session' about the testing experience. What does
that mean? Well I would take their anxiety and let them talk about it,
apparently they wanted to TALK anyway so I would try to use that energy, and
then direct the conversation to the making of art, and perhaps then taken them
into art making. I know you wouldn't get philosophical dialogue with the kids
but I am willing to bet they would talk to you about what they test was about,
and how they liked it or didn't like it, etc etc etc. I am willing to also
bet that little ones, just like 'big' ones can not turn themselves on and off
like faucets from one experience to another without a transition period.

Just my two cents at 6:35 am in the morning.

San D

---