Re: new beginning at end of year

---------

From: Curt James (curt_james_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 27 2001 - 14:58:18 PST

degasblue wrote:

> I could really use some help! An elementary art
> teacher in the district has
> just retired, Ive taken on the position and am a
> first year art teacher. I know
> there will be some change over time where the
> students and I will need to get to
> know each other, set up routines, and establish
> rules. It will be like the
> beginning of the year but near the end of the year.
> I wondered if anyone had
> ideas for a short, 2-3 session (50 min) theme
> perhaps in drawing, markers or
> crayons, that will help us get better aquainted and
> let me get a feel for what
> they are capable of doing. Its K-5, inner city,
> several special needs across the
> board but mostly sbh.

Congratulations on the new job!

I used the "Drawing Drawer" idea posted
here previously (attributed to Marty Reid) and
my 6th graders loved this activity!

I taped their drawings to the blackboard after
they were finished and each student talked about
their art.

Email me at Curt_James@yahoo.com and I'll gladly
forward the activity to you.

This list is a wonderful resource!

The sixth graders are currently working on an
art project titled "My Favorite Activity".

They're creating a watercolor painting of
something they enjoy doing and also writing
a few words telling about their activity.

This could easily be adapted to the elementary
grades and would be a fun way to learn about
your students' interests.

Best of luck and congratulations again
on your new position!

--