Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: new beginning at end of year

From: Curt James (curt_james_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 27 2001 - 14:58:18 PST

degasblue wrote:

> I could really use some help! An elementary art
> teacher in the district has
> just retired, Ive taken on the position and am a
> first year art teacher. I know
> there will be some change over time where the
> students and I will need to get to
> know each other, set up routines, and establish
> rules. It will be like the
> beginning of the year but near the end of the year.
> I wondered if anyone had
> ideas for a short, 2-3 session (50 min) theme
> perhaps in drawing, markers or
> crayons, that will help us get better aquainted and
> let me get a feel for what
> they are capable of doing. Its K-5, inner city,
> several special needs across the
> board but mostly sbh.

Congratulations on the new job!

I used the "Drawing Drawer" idea posted
here previously (attributed to Marty Reid) and
my 6th graders loved this activity!

I taped their drawings to the blackboard after
they were finished and each student talked about
their art.

Email me at and I'll gladly
forward the activity to you.

This list is a wonderful resource!

The sixth graders are currently working on an
art project titled "My Favorite Activity".

They're creating a watercolor painting of
something they enjoy doing and also writing
a few words telling about their activity.

This could easily be adapted to the elementary
grades and would be a fun way to learn about
your students' interests.

Best of luck and congratulations again
on your new position!

Haven't had enough?  :-)  Visit: