Re: oil pastel idea

---------

From: MaryAnn Kohl (maryann_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 27 2001 - 09:54:52 PST

Hi, Amanda. This stencil idea is in one of my books using chalk, but it
works with oil pastels too. It is basically tracing a stencil, and while
continuing to hold the stencil, brush the oil pastel marks with a pad or
tissue. Then remove the stencil and see the beautiful, brushed design. TRY
IT!! The directions are below for you.

Also,
You can see this project in Scribble Art, the book, by Kohl, Bright Ring
Publishing-- but for chalk. It is on my website at
http://brightring.com/chalk.html
Just substitute oil pastels wherever it says chalk.
You can see a child's work in black and white at the website
as well as read the entire directions from the book.

====================
Oil Pastel Stencil Blend

You need:
heavy paper (old file folder) for stencil
pencil
scissors
oil pastels
tissue, cotton ball or make-up pad
paper

You do:
1. Draw any simple, bold shape on the heavy paper, like a flower, heart,
rocket ship, whatever. Even abstract shapes are neat. Geometric shapes like
circles and squares are very good too.
2. Poke a hole with the scissors and then cut the shape out, saving both
pieces: the negative outer stencil, and the positive inner stencil. You can
use both stencils.
3. Place the solid, positive stencil on the paper, and trace around it with
an oil pastel. Continue holding the stencil in place, and brush and blend
the tracing with a tissue or other pad. When the mark is blended and smeared
(I like to brush the mark OUT from the stencil), remove the stencil and see
the shape that is left. It should look like a starburst effect.
NOTE: You can do the same process with the negative outer stencil (the one
with the hole). Only when you brush the pastel marks, the color will blend
"inside" the shape rather than brushing out. It will fill the stencil area
and will look kind of 3-D...like a balloon.
4. Repeat the tracing and brushing/blending, overlapping if you like, or
simply making a repeating pattern.

On 2/26/01 6:37 PM, Amanda Meitl at lucky6_9@hotmail.com wrote:
> I have been
> asked to use oil pastels and somehow incorporate pattern or repetition
> (perferabley both) and present the technique of blending colors
> (perferably).

Here's the same directions for "chalk" from the book, Scribble Art.
printed with permission.

Chalk Stencils from Scribble Art
Materials
              squares of heavy paper, such as old file folders
              scissors
              colored chalk
              paper in light colors
              facial tissues or cotton balls
Process
1. Cut any shape from a folded square of heavy paper. Keep the shape and the
paper from around the shape too. Both can be used as stencils with entirely
different art results.
2. Place a stencil (either piece) on the paper.
3. Trace around the shape (or trace inside the opposite piece).
4. Without removing the stencil, hold the stencil with the non-drawing hand
and at the same time, take a piece of tissue or a cotton ball in the drawing
hand.
5. Brush the chalk outline gently with the tissue or cotton, brushing out
and away from the shape (or brushing in and filling the opposite piece).
6. Remove the stencil. The effect will be soft and muted with a distinct
stencil design with clean edges.
7. Repeat as desired.

Hint:
- The stencil must be held still and not removed before brushing the marks
for this art technique to work. However, if the artist decides on a
different idea or moves the stencil, this too is acceptable and effective
chalk art.

Variations
- Create repetitive patterns with stencils and chalk.
- Overlap stencils and designs for a mixing of colors and shapes.
- Experiment with a variety of colors overlapping and blending.
- Find objects to use as stencils, such as a soup can, shoe, comb, hammer,
or other ideas.
MaryAnn F. Kohl
Bright Ring Publishing, Inc.
PO Box 31338