Folk Art Seminar Offered in Santa Fe, New Mexico, July 15-21, 2001

---------

From: Nancy Walkup (walkup_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 27 2001 - 07:46:35 PST

FYI:

I am again offering a seminar in Santa Fe, New Mexico, this summer from
July 15-21. This year our focus is folk art, prompted by the fact that
what may be the world's best folk art museum is in Santa Fe. The seminar
costs $510.00 and includes room and board and local transportation
during the seminar. Participants are responsible for transportation to
and from Santa Fe. You can find more information on Plaza Resolana's web
site: http://www.newmexico.com/resolana/. You can also visit the Museum
of International Folk Art online at
http://www.state.nm.us/moifa/MOIFAhome/MOIFAHome.html.

Here's the blurb from the seminar catalog:

"Folk art is oftentimes considered to encompass objects of individual
aesthetic expression made by hand, based on cultural traditions, and
learned from family at home through example and practice. Folk art
objects frequently are based on traditions of special media, forms, or
functions by artists and artisans with no academic training. Because of
such characteristics, folk art is routinely contrasted with "fine" art,
yet not all art aficionados share this view or accept such extinctions.
If you are a teacher, a fan of folk art, or just want to learn more
about it, please join us in Santa Fe, the home of the Museum of
International Folk Art. We will explore folk art traditions that range
from Pueblo pottery, Navajo weaving, and mud toys, to Hispanic retablos,
the Mexican Days of the Dead, milagros, and paper cutting. Enjoy artist
and museum visits and hands-on activities."

If you are interested, please contact Plaza Resolana, 505-982-8539.

Warm Regards,

Nancy

---