Symbolism in color

---------

From: JDecker (JDecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 26 2001 - 14:50:23 PST

Use caution when teaching about color symbolism. Symbolism of colors vary
from culture to culture. I know I have a link
on my site for color symbolism in Zulu beading.
http://www.edunetconnect.com/cat/soccult/afrval.html

Colors in Native American culture often symbolize different things from
culture to culture....African cultures have different meanings....and
so on. Colors symbolize different qualities in various European cultures.

Explanation of color symbolism (from About.con)
http://webdesign.about.com/compute/webdesign/library/weekly/aa070400a.htm
http://webdesign.about.com/compute/webdesign/library/weekly/aa070400c.htm

Excerpt from The Art of Color Calligraphy
By Mary Noble and Adrian Waddington
http://www.fascinating-folds.com/paperarts/colorsymbol.htm

Color Symbolism in Stained Glass:
http://www.browninglibrary.org/stglcolor.htm

Interesting page on "green"
http://www.colormatters.com/culturematters.html

Chart that matches some of the most popular rose colors
with the sentiments they express.
http://www.rose.org/Page6/page6a.html

Well designed site showing European color symbolism
http://www.insteam.com/LauraFunderburk/mycolor.htm

Women/spirit (seams to be some kind of spiritual site--although not religion
per se)
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Oracle/6366/color.html

Animal totems-symbolism (from same site as above)
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Oracle/6366/totems.html#totems

---