Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Symbolism in color

From: JDecker (JDecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 26 2001 - 14:50:23 PST

Use caution when teaching about color symbolism. Symbolism of colors vary
from culture to culture. I know I have a link
on my site for color symbolism in Zulu beading.

Colors in Native American culture often symbolize different things from
culture to culture....African cultures have different meanings....and
so on. Colors symbolize different qualities in various European cultures.

Explanation of color symbolism (from About.con)

Excerpt from The Art of Color Calligraphy
By Mary Noble and Adrian Waddington

Color Symbolism in Stained Glass:

Interesting page on "green"

Chart that matches some of the most popular rose colors
with the sentiments they express.

Well designed site showing European color symbolism

Women/spirit (seams to be some kind of spiritual site--although not religion
per se)

Animal totems-symbolism (from same site as above)