Ziplock Baggie ideas, compiled:

---------

From: MaryAnn Kohl (maryann_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 26 2001 - 14:12:53 PST

Here are the ziplock baggie ideas that people contributed. Hope you enjoy
them. I think they are amazing!! I didn't put people's names by them,
because so many people said not to. But I can...if you want them that way.
===========================
MaryAnn Kohl
maryann@brightring.com
===========================

Art Supplies Storage: keep crayons, scissors, and glue (anything artsy)

Baby Fingerpaint: Put ketchup and mustard in, tape all four sides of the to
a surface such as the floor or table or highchair tray and let the babies
and toddlers trace designs.

Baby's Photo Baggie: Place large photos (or magazine clippings) of faces and
favorite people inside ziplock baggies, as if they were framed as pictures.
Slip in a piece of heavy paper or cardboard too, to help make the pages
stiffer for baby to hold. Baby can look at the pictures as individual cards,
or bind in a book for baby to enjoy. (See Ziplock Bookie)

Backpack: two-gallon ziplock bag makes a good backpack

Baggie book: Paperback books go home with a child to 'show off' reading
skills, and are then returned. Make an insert with the book title and an
explanation of what a "Baggie book" is & how to care for it, a place for the
child to sign his name and parents to initial that it was read.

BLUBBER MITTENS (from Bonnie)
Turn a baggie inside out and put inside another baggie. Line with Crisco
shortening. (Like a glove.) Seal with duct tape Use to pick up ice. The
shortening provides a layer of fat so it protects the hand from the cold.

Book Bags: use larger bags for individual book bags in each child's desk

Book Display: When youıve done a book project and I display it, put the book
in a ziplock baggie, & then staple to the bulletin board along with the
projects.

Books and Cassettes: keep listening center books and cassettes in baggies.

Books: Put things inside bags and zip shut. Then staple them together or use
one of the connecting rings--- change out the pages.

Calendar time / bulletin board: Keep everything in a baggie needed for
calendar. Each calendar has its own baggie.

Calendar: Each calendar item (special days, dates, and all weather pictures)
has its own baggie. My kids do calendar now by themselves and they like
having the baggies so that the pieces aren't mixed together.

Cards: Vocabulary card covers: Use if you don't have a laminator

Center Materials: for all content areas, especially when the materials lie
flat like an instruction sheet and math manipulatives.

Collection of 100: Use small size for 100 piece collections - they get
pinned to bulletin board and not much room taken up (also limits what can be
collected)

Collections: bird's nests, snake skins, etc. for study and keep them in
bags. Some bags are then taped closed to indicate an item that is not to be
touched with bare skin.

Cotton Candy: When we have our carnival, we use gallon baggies for the
cotton candy. Beats paying the big price to purchase from supplier and it's
easier to make a bunch in advance.

Daily Folders: We also use baggies to send home in daily folders for lunch
and ice cream $$. Helps keep the kids from losing it!

FEELIE BAGS for the science center: Put into ziplock bags and let the
children squish them, feel, write, etc. - (might want to seal with tape to
prevent leaks during squishing) Suggestions: shaving cream, hair gel, mud,
white glue, corn syrup, shampoo, oil, pudding, hair gel (their favorite!),
salt, flour, beans, split peas, rice, soil, sand, Styrofoam packing
"peanuts", feathers, cornmeal, pebbles, different colors of hair gel, bath
scrub, sand and water, stuff with sequins, shampoo, liquid soap (cheap bags
allow the smell to come through)

Feelie Bags: put hair styling gel into the small baggies and the larger 1
gallon bags. Either just the gel or I have put items in with the gel such as
pieces of foam, buttons, sparkles etc. Draw pictures on the bags: pumpkin
for orange gel, Christmas tree for green gel, ghost for white gel etc. You
may want to double bag them and use them for about a month. Then throw them
away. The gel will make the baggie deteriorate.Great tactile and sensory
activity. You can heat them up in the microwave to do a cold=hot comparison.

Field Trip Bag: fill with small pack of tissues, band-aids, tube of
ointment, extra class list with chaperones listed also, pen, etc.

Field Trip Medical Supplies: individual clearly labeled bags for children
who need inhalers or bee sting kits, etc.

Flash cards: store flashcards
Flash cards: Use smaller baggies for sight word flashcards
Floppy disks: Floppy disk storage if you lose the little sleeves

Game Pieces: folder game pieces store in the sandwich size and clip to the
folder. Each baggie has a picture of the folder game taped on it so it can
be matched with the appropriate folder.

Games: use to hold teacher made games or loose game pieces.

Hole punch: solution for kids who feel they must blow air inside the bags or
pop them

I could not teach without ziplock bags.

Ice Packs: Make individual ice packs by placing a clean, wet sponge in a
ziplock and freeze it. After it is used, place the sponge in a
new, clean bag and put it back in the freezer. Much more economical than
store-bought ice-packs and much less of a mess than a bag of melting ice.

ICE: If packing lunches in a cooler, pack Styrofoam cups of ice each in a
ziplock bag for instant ice packs that double as food coolers.

Ice-cream in Bag:
In a quart sized ziplock bag place a 1/2 cup of milk, a spoonful of sugar,
and any other little extras you want (vanilla, chocolate syrup, nuts,
chocolate chips etc.). Squeeze out as much air as you can, and seal the bag.
Place this bag in a gallon sized bag that you have put ice and salt in. Put
in more ice and salt, then seal the bag. With your hands, shake and move the
ice around until the milk freezes inside the smaller bag. Take out the small
bag, wipe off with a paper towel, then eat the ice cream right out of the
bag!
It always works for me, and the kids love this activity!

Kiddie Express/Mail System: Send home with each child a plastic bag with
their name on it at the beginning of the year. Inside is a note to parents
to send any messages in the bag and we will send any messages to them in the
bag. It works great! Checks, pick-up notes and etc. don't get lost in the
bottom of the back pack. Teachers don't spend time going through the entire
backpack looking for messages. The four year olds actually are responsible
to put their bag in a colored tub. Teachers pop the bag in a hanging file
folder box and stuff as the day goes along. One less headache for parents
and teachers at the end of a long day.

Letter Cards: line 3 qt. size bags side-by-side and use colored duct tape to
tape the sides together. The bags can then be used for sequencing or for
inserting
letter cards to spell words.

Listening Center: larger ones for listening center books & cassettes.

Magic Slate: put small amounts of paint into a bag and the children can use
it like a magic slate to write their spelling words.

Magnetic Letters: Tape 26 baggies to the bottom of the chalkboard using the
clear packaging tape. Tape only the back side, so that it hangs open. Then
separate all magnetic letters into the bags. All the A's together in
one bag, all the B's together in the next bag and so on. Then when sounding
out words, the kids pull out the letters while sounding them and spell the
words on the board. Build sentences using the letters. Good for showing
spacing between words.

Magnetic Trays with alphabet letters: for spelling. One tray fits perfectly
in a jumbo ziplock bag. No worry about losing letters!

Matching Game: fits in the large bag. Take the matching cards out of the bag
and leave the zip up the background card that you are matching the cards to.
The child plays the matching game and the plastic protects the background
card. When you put the game away, just open and insert the smaller matching
cards inside to store neatly.

Math bag: contains their own set of all the math manipulatives used in Saxon
Math lessons and their math flashcards, etc....

Overhead Projector Manipulatives: couple of stacks of drawers on the
overhead cart and manipulatives in baggies in the drawers, too.

Paint and Write Bag (Autism): Atypical Child course at college- the textbook
suggests the idea of putting ketchup and mustard in ziplock bags for
children with Autism.

Paint Cup Liners: I use yogurt cups (or now paint cups since I had $$ to buy
some) and line them with baggies. I put the paint in baggies for easy
cleanup. The paint can also be stored in the baggies and used again in a
week
or so. Aids in mixing colors as well.

Plaster of Paris: mix in ziplock bag
1 C plaster
1/2 C water
Place plaster in bag. Pour in water let set with out stirring for 5 minutes.
Squeeze until well mixed. You can then pour it into mold etc. This is great
because you can just throw the bag and all away after you are finished.

Playdough: Make in a ziplock bag
1 C flour
1/2 C salt
1/2 C water
1T oil
Place flour and salt in bag, zip and mix. Add water and oil. Zip and squish
until it makes a nice dough, remove and knead.

Playdough: store home-made playdough.
Puzzle Bag: When a commercial puzzle box falls apart, cut out the picture on
the puzzle box and put it in a big ziplock bag with the puzzle pieces.

Puzzle Talk: put the pieces to puzzles in baggies and these baggies in the
puzzle boxes to keep things together. If the box squashes or tears, cut it
apart, put the front of the puzzle in the baggie with the pieces and throw
the rest of the box away. Do this with all puzzles to save room. Note:
numbering puzzles and each piece enables stray pieces to find a home. Keep a
master list of puzzles so numbers are not duplicated. When a missing piece
is found, check the list we have to see where it goes. Sometimes the puzzles
get "traded" and we don't realize a piece is missing until it's found some
time later. The numbers save us - and the puzzle pieces!.

Puzzles: I find that I can't store my puzzles in baggies. These rip too
easily with my kids and slid off the storage shelves, causing a hazard. We
have small plastic bins the puzzles stay in. Easy to stack and label. I
think they were about $1.50 a piece.

rainbow stew: Make in the baggies in March during St. Patrick's and rainbows
week.

Rewards: In the winter, use ziplock bags, with the students names on them,
to reward them with a mini marshmallow. Every once in a while, when it's
cold outside we get to have hot chocolate and the students get to put their
earned marshmallows into their hot chocolate.

School Supplies: to keep their individual supplies in their desks (quieter
than a plastic pencil box) Give a new bag every month. use for extra
supplies in their cubbies.

Seeds - Germination: Lima bean seeds, paper towel moistened - all in baggie
and pinned to bulletin board for germination

Seeds - Germination: of seeds

Seeds - Greenhouse: put over the students' plants, after they are first
watered. They never water them again (avoiding the treaded over-watering or
under-watering) and see the water cycle at work

Sensory Bags: Fill them with corn syrup mixed with food coloring, easter
grass, pine cones, shortening, and whatever else that is interesting to
touch. Double bag them and tape them shut with duct tape. This is a safe way
for infants to explore their world although supervise them while they play
with them.

Shaving Cream: shaving cream in a bag and a few drops of coloring to make
different colors. Blue and yellow for green. Red and Yellow for orange. Just
a few drops.

Spelling Feelie Bag: Put a container of cheap hair gel (like Dippity Doo but
"bargain") with a bunch of alphabet beads, let out air, and tape shut. Kids
manipulate the beads within the hair gel to form their spelling words or
spell any words at all.

Storage:
Puzzle pieces once the boxes are destroyed
manipulatives
magnet pieces
markers or crayons
guided reading books and follow up activities
independent reading books by levels or interest
stickers

Store math manipulatives: Store in baggies to save room, since I don't have
room to store them in tubs.

Store Unfinished Projects: Use large freezer bags to store unfinished
projects. If a child is working on a weaving project and must stop (to go
home, move on to new activity, etc.), place it in a bag with the childıs
name on it and hang it on a "clothesline" or net. Projects will not get
tangled or lost, and when the child is ready to return to it, he can easily
find it and get it himself.

Student Supply Bags: quart size freezer bags

Tooth Taxi: In goes the tooth! Write child's name and date on outside for
child to take home

Travel Bag-It: Use large heavy freezer bags to pack selected materials for
car or air travel, such as ~ ~~ crayons and paper ~~ beads and string for
threading ~~ small books ~~ playing cards~~ silly putty and comics

Writing Experience, Tactile: Put hair gel in the bag, zip it up, and the
kids draw upper and lower case letters we are studying as well as pictures
that begin with the sound. It is easily erased and the kids love the feel. I
know of others that use shaving cream colored with a bit of food color or
tempera.

Ziplock Bookie : Put any kind of "pages" inside the larger ziplock freezer
bags (front and back). Hole punch the fold end (opposite the zip end) and
place in a 3 ring binder, or tie with yarn. Flip the pages to read. Unzip
and remove pages and put in new ones anytime. ~~ photographs ~~ children's
artworks ~~ stories ~~ birthday cards, Valentines to look at

MaryAnn F. Kohl
maryann@brightring.com
http://www.brightring.com

---