Re: Homer's Wood Engravings

---------

From: Bill Sechler (BillSe_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 26 2001 - 08:53:03 PST

Homer used the "classic wood engraving" technique where the "raised" portion (relief) printed the black lines of the engraving. He did these in graph form, small squares of hard wood with the grain of the wood in the vertical/end grain position for the finest detail possible in the carving and finally assembled to make the final print.

>>> Vita23@aol.com 02/24 3:44 PM >>>
Is there someone out there who knows for sure how Winslow Homer's wood
engravings were done? I have printed material describing two opposite
techniques, each claiming to describe the way his were done. Was the design
cut into a block of wood with the ink sinking down into the cuts, or was
everything but the design cut away with the ink sitting on top of the raised
design? I'm really looking forward to getting to the bottom of this!
Thanks, Vita