re help for the spec ed 9-11

---------

From: Randy Menninghaus (india99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 25 2001 - 12:24:50 PST

I used to use the court cards from a deck of cards to introduce a
design problem.

Please remember that I have not taught this unit for 10 years but here
goes.
I collected as many decks of cards as possible saving only the jack
queens and kings.
Each manufacturer of card uses different motifs and pattern. Each card
hold various items.
If you ask faculty members to find incomplete decks from home and toss
them your mail box
it is cheaper than
buying a bunch.

It was a design problem where they would create a card that was a about
12x16 ( I trimmed
down 12 x 18 paper in
advance) It had to have the sense of a card, ie face body simply
hands, motifs that are card
like.... but it was to
advertise a common product.... something that the students might find
easily in a super
market.

The final advertisement includes the product ex. ...Mountain dew....
being drunk... or held....
with a simple balloon
comment from the court card... I always had they rule a border the
width of the ruler to start
off the feeling of a card

It is self absorbing. they can have one of two cards to paper clip to
their art for reference.
Materials can be a ruler , pencil and markers....or colored pencils.

The plusses of the problem were it seemed to engage students of all
levels... it involved little
out of their seat time... The level of complexity depended on the
kid.... Kids liked how the
final cards looked.

I used to have some glorious examples...However I lent them a long time
ago to a local art
teacher and they were not returned... Hope it helps....

Randy in Maine watching snow outside slowly turn to icey rain.

---