Re: Oaxacan

---------

From: Vivian Komando (komandv_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 25 2001 - 09:10:07 PST

Jean,
I teach 11th and 12th grade sculpture. We are almost at
the end of our Oaxacan project. I have a Crizmac video on
Oaxacan Wood carving with Zeny Fuentes.

http://www.crizmac.com/zenyfuentes.html

The video is great for elementary to HS. I thank Crizmac
for the video because I won it at one of their
presentations at the FAEA.

We do not have wood to work with, so after the watching
the video we had a discussion on the traits they could
identify for the artwork - elements and principles used,
vocabulary, subject matter, media, and technique/process.
We then compared how these related to their work in clay.

Their assignment was to create their own Oaxacan inspired
animal sculpture using clay. They are in the painting
stage now - and they are coming out wonderful. You can
see how each student has used the technique and
principles, but how their own personality/spirit is
incorporated into the piece.

Just a thought to share for the others that don't have
wood to use.
Vivian