Idea for 1st grade

---------

From: Rick (rlarson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 25 2001 - 08:10:02 PST

I just finished a lesson using the book " Why the Sky is so Far Away" a
Nigerian folktale ( story is retold by Mary-Joan Gerson and illustrated
by Carla Golembe) isbn-Q-316-30874-9. The illustrations are really
wonderful!.
After discussion the lesson focused on contrast- we made pop out
pictures on a dark blue background with their favorite foods in pop-
out, contrasting, bright colors. They were asked to add one element to
their pictures that showed an angry sky. Most showed a lightening bolt
or black cloud. They turned out well and brought an opportunity to talk
about wastefulness and greed( something 1st graders excell in!) .Thought
I'd pass it along.
Betsy

---