African American Culture--Interdisciplinary Lesson

---------

From: JDecker (JDecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 24 2001 - 14:00:12 PST

Shar sent this great lesson to me from the NY Times....

"Black and Blue
Attracting Viewers to African-American Museums"

Here is the Web site where you can get it
http://www.nytimes.com/learning/teachers/lessons/index.html

This is a good lesson to tie in many disciplines....and can easily be
adapted to your needs (for instance---I would use "Virtual Museums" to tour
since we do not have an African American culture museum close.

We had a couple letters to the editor (local paper) complaining that there
is too much fuss for Black History Month....They wrote that we need to have
American Indian Month....Chinese-American History Month...and so on (I
smiled to myself...because we art teachers do this all the time....I do try
to make "American Indian History" in months other than November, too).

I have the lesson on file (with out all the web page files).

Judy Decker

P.S. I did finish my bills....finally....and the only "brainstorm" I had was
that my daddy made more money than I do now....way back in 1978 (same age I
am now) and he didn't even get his masters...(the company paid for what he
did get---he had to quit because of all of us younguns at home. It was too
hard on my mom---and she had the fourth child on the way). G-r-r-r...my
house cost more (in 1981) than that house did and is only half the
size....but is now worth a whole lot less than that house back in 1978 when
they sold it. I still can not afford a nice house like that on a teacher's
salary....and folks around here are belly-aching to the local paper that
teachers get paid too much. G-r-r-r-r. Oh well...I never said I was in
education for the money. I hope your local paper aren't as hard on
teachers---they post average salaries every year---and usually around the
State Grade Card report time. Maybe we all should start writing letters to
the editor every time we buy a defective product (Our city school take the
most "heat"). Pat yourself all on the back for being teachers!

---