Discipline issues

---------

From: JDecker (JDecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 24 2001 - 05:06:39 PST

Middle School kids are just elementary kids in a bigger package....high
school kids are adults (in a smaller/younger package)......I can deal with
all the things my middlers do very well (after I have exhausted all of my
bag of tricks---then I turn them over to our administrators to do their
"magic"---none of which works either-- but at least I am following the
rules). I try to shape them so they do not do the adult behavior I find so
offensive. How we treat our middle school kids has a great effect on how
they turn out as adults.

There are many high schoolers (my former students) that I see in our
Tuesday/Thursday school (detention) that sneak a smile to me when no one
else is looking (they knew my ways were right for them).

Save my e-mail address....and vent to me with any frustrations you have
while student teaching "middlers" (my favorite age group)....I will see how
I can help you out. (also...check Bunki Kramer's posts...she is the "Guru"
on middle school kids and their behavior)

Try:
http://www.disciplinehelp.com/behindex/default.htm

The best thing you can do is talk to the kids...try to find out WHY they are
misbehaving---then work to solve that need for that particular
child---Oh...and if all else fails...Pray--that works for me, too.

Thought I would share this with the list, too. Character Education IS our
job. Dealing with discipline issues effectively is working to build
character in our children. I always think "How would I want this situation
to be handled if I was a kid?". Never forget what it was like to be a kid.
If you treat kids first how you wish to be treated.....then your discipline
problems will not be as great (won't eliminate all of them---'cause some
kids just don't "get it" until it is too late....sigh).

My former students that my hubby sees in-school-suspension (in a different
district) don't have a whole lot of bad things to say about me...they
behaved for me in middle school....and have since moved from our district.
One boy actually lives just down the street from me. You can't "save every
child"---all you can do is try to make them behave for you (work to improve
your own little environment).

Give them a little R -E- S- P -E- C- T and they will eventually give it
back. My hubby played that for his students at the high school when he began
his student teaching. Everyone of his English students respect him when he
sees them in-school-suspension because of something they did in another
class. I keep praying the behavior of the other kids does not make him want
to give it all up. He will make a great teacher.

Judy Decker

P.S. I just read the last paragraph for hubby....it was a long haul for
him....wasn't a bed of roses. He had some very difficult classes (many of
the kids couldn't read or write---as juniors in high school).

---