Re: Help! Need second grade lesson on Faith Ringgold

---------

skygeoff_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri Feb 23 2001 - 06:59:36 PST

Nnaell@aol.com wrote:

> Ok....I am in dire straights! I have an art show coming up in two
> weeks....and I have a second grade class that does not have even one decent
> piece of flat work to show.

I had all 4 of my fourth grades do a large paper "quilt". I picked one child in
each class to draw and then paint a large picture on 18" x 36" paper for the
center of the quilt. The children brainstormed a story first with me so the
center picture illustrated their story. Then each child in the class did an oil
pastel design - either a large flower (no stem) or a pattern of lines. A heavy
application of oil pastels works best. One square had to use monochromatic
colors, one - complimentary, and one any colors. The squares were 4'' x 4".
Next they put a watercolor wash over the squares. I chose the best squares to
use for the quilt, making sure to get one from each child. They didn't know that
I selected the best ones. The children made up a story with their classroom
teacher's help. Their teacher wrote the story on those lined colored strips of
paper. I glued the big picture to the middle of a piece of bright colored craft
paper (about 5' x 4'), I glued the story strips (there were two) to the top and
bottom of the big central picture. Then I neatly glued the children's colorful
squares around the border of this central image. I glued the squares fairly close
together so it would look like a quilt. They turned out great and are all
hanging in our county library for Black History month.
Hope this helps.

Sky

---