Re: Help! Need second grade lesson on Faith Ringgold

---------

From: JDecker (JDecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 23 2001 - 15:47:45 PST

>Ok....I am in dire straights! I have an art show coming up in two
>weeks....and I have a second grade class that does not have even one
>decent piece of flat work to show. How could I let this happen you say?

Do put in work the students have already done (Second grade students)---I
hope you have saved some. Not putting up any of their projects that the
other classes have done will send a big red flag the "your work is not good
enough" and "you are no good in art"...Believe me--this IS what happens. I
get 6th-7th 8th graders (many only take art once in our middle school) who
have made it through this school system with out ever having work in our
district show (in grades K through 5). I try to rectify this when I get
them...I am sure the other art teachers snicker behind my back at some of
the work I put in the show (actually have seen them do this to the work
exhibited by former co-workers)---but I do not care. The show is for the
kids!

> This class has had really management issues all year.

Kids misbehave for a reason---find the reason.
Start doing projects that the students CAN handle. Do a project that only
they are doing to make them special (but don't let them know why). they need
to be doing first grade level projects---but NOT the same projects you are
doing with your present first graders.

Judy

---