More to see /Re: Transportation-New York

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2001 - 07:46:05 PST

2 thumbs up for the free Staten Island Ferry ride. Exhilarating view
of the Statue and Ellis Island and the tip of Manhattan. Last I took
it you were not allowed to remain on for the return but had to exit
and reenter which is understandable since they have to comply with the
load limits. (The ferry is not so expensive on other days ) I like to
take the ferry out while it is still light and you can see clearly and
return as the lights are just starting to twinkle on. Ferry fairyland
:< ) I took the chopper ride once and started in the daylight and
returned as the dark set in. There are no words!

While you are there near the Ferry slip visit the National Museum of
the American Indian / Smithsonian at the bottom of the Island at the
Battery. It is always free and is one of the best museums I have ever
visited. It has interactive features. Exhibits were developed by
various tribes. There has been a change of exhibits recently so I
can't speak for the new exhibit but everything I have ever see there
has been exceptional/ out of the ordinary. It is off the beaten path
but if you are visiting the Statue, that ferry slip is few blocks from
the NMIA and not far (a good walk) from the World Trade Center. If you
want to see Wall Street,The Exchange, the Battery, the Staten Island
Ferry, and the oldest part of the island you will be right in the lap
of the NMAI. (just below the Wall Street Bull) The 2 bookstores (one
for children & one for us) are excellent for multicultural stuff. It
is housed in the old custom house which is a very interesting building
to see. It is one of the ticketed tours offered through the
conference but you can easily go down with a group and it is a trip
well worth taking. Just pick up walking tours from the Concierge or
bookstore.

I would tell you about public transportation but I am not strong in
that area because I drive in NYC. I get very lost in subway and I
have this magic spot on my bumper that signals people to pull out of
parking spaces just before I get there.:< ) There is a large public
garage in the area and I park there so get your transportation
guidance from someone reliable.

It is exciting to think of all of you visiting NYC for the first time.
What a thrill. I remember when I first came at 18 fresh from the
plains in Colorado. I was overwhelmed. I wouldn't cross streets by
my self and my father had to hold my hand at the intersections to keep
me from being mowed down. ( At 6 ft.{then}I was 6 inches taller than
my dad:<) What a sight that must have been for New Yorkers) I was
trying to take in everything at once and don't process things quickly.
We both feared for my life I was so distracted. In Colorado Springs
the busiest downtown main street was six lanes across and the highest
building was 3 stories! Real slow and no horns. Talk about culture
shock! I was in awe and terror at the same time.

I hope you all have a great time and all your luggage arrives with
you! It is getting soooooo close!

Sharon from NJ
--To respond to me directly click on mailto:heneborn@erols.com

----------
>From: aheinema@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu (Ann Heineman)
>Subject: Re: Transportation-New York
>Date: Fri, Feb 16, 2001, 7:43 AM
> At the newstands at some of the main subway underground passages,
> you can get a day pass for unlimited travel on the subways and buses in
> NYC! On the weekends the Staten Island Ferry is free. Just go for a
fun
> ride over and back. It's gorgeous seeing a sunset over Manhatten on your
> way back, if you can time it right. The Verrazano Narrows Bridge is awesome
> to see. Ellis Island is a real gem and worth seeing, too.
         If you do walk the Brooklyn Bridge, do it with a group.
Muggers know that territory, too.

                         Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus,
          whose parents lived in Bayridge (Brooklyn) for 9 years. I
love NYC! Have fun everyone! Looking forward to your posts
from the "front!"

---