Re: Making musical instruments - need some help

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 15 2001 - 18:49:22 PST

"Anna N." wrote:

> Has anyone ever made drums? I'd love to hear some ideas
> about it. I thought of just using buckets and decorating them, but also
> thought about somehow stretching rubber around the top of a can,
> or....something??? Any kind of instrument ideas would be great. I'd love
> to tie it all in to a certain culture, but not a must. This would be for
> children in grades k-5.
>
> Any ideas would be wonderful!

Anna,

The Western Apache (which includes the San Carlos and White Mountain
tribes in AZ) make drums for their ceremonies by stretching a hide
across the top of graniteware pots (the old-fashioned looking kind that
are blue with speckles). They use a thin stick (willow, maybe) that's
been tied into a circle at one end to strike the drumhead. Perhaps you
could dig up some old pots and some leather hides to make your own.
Chamois (used to polish cars) might work, though it may be too
fuzzy--real chamois is a type of leather; there's also "chamois" cloths
made.

Maggie

---