Re: New York, New York

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 19:37:50 PST

In a message dated 2/14/01 7:46:27 PM Eastern Standard Time, MarshArt@aol.com
writes:

> Try to stay out of
> the subways. Use surface transportation. And, please, don't walk around

As a New Yorker (o.k., Long Island is the suburbs), I spend many wonderful
hours in the city, and I must disagree. The subways are fine. Absolutely
fine. I don't suggest travelling alone on the subway at 2:00 a.m., however
everyone takes the subway during the day and up until late at night, no
problem. Cabs are very expensive and you can most of the time walk faster
during rush/peak hours than a cabride. The subway is an inexpensive mode of
transportation, sheltered from the weather, very direct and quick, with many
stops at points of interest. During the past couple of years crime is really
down tremendously. You'll see subway police everywhere, so don't be afraid.

Just as in any large city don't walk around with your pocketbook open or
unzippered, or with a bag without a closure. You can walk around looking any
way you want- country hick and all. Anything goes in New York, the melting
pot! Wait till you see the diverse looks- be yourself- it doesn't matter,
you'll fit in. It's what adds to the excitement and "flavor" of New York,
New York!

Susan on Long Island

---