New York, New York~long rambling post

---------

From: KPRS (kprs_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 18:12:25 PST

Here's my two cents (from a New Jersey gal who goes to New York all the
time)

Wear comfortables shoes (forget those pesky heels ladies). AND no one
dresses for the theater anymore, so you don't NEED those heels. I can
tell tourists a mile away from the shoes they wear.

The 8th floor lobby of the Marriot Hotel (in the middle of times square)
has benches to sit on and a great BATHROOM that you can use even if you
aren't a hotel patron. The Mariott is where Annie Get Your Gun is
playing on the third floor.

Not all of the exhibits are open on all days at the Metropolitan Museum
because they rotate closing galleries because of budget cuts. Eat in
the cafeteria, it is cheaper than the full fledged dining area. There
are no 'cheaper' restaurants in the area of the Metropolitan. Do see
the Frick Museum as recommended by someone else on the list.

The subways are safe enough and pretty easy to use, although not as easy
as the London Metro. Get a map from a map store in your local mall, or
try an online place for them. I carry a subway map with me even to this
day (in my purse) and just double check the subways before I venture
"under". (You can always go to the Mariott upstairs, 8th floor, sit down
on those benches and get your bearings.) The buses (you can always get
bus maps) are generally slower because they get caught up with the
traffic, but they run up town, down town and cross town. Get a metro
card at any hotel, or subway station.

Eat at Virgil's Barbeque (I can't remember if it is on 45th or 46th off
of Times Square)look it up in the phone book at your hotel or ask the
conseierege...the food is definitely finger licking good, and you get so
much of it you want to unbutton the top button, if you know what I mean.
Avoid the chain food places, like Olive Garden, be adventuresome. Nick
and Stef's is a great steak house that is right on the same block as
Madison Square Garden.

As for weather, layers are the best. I wear a raincoat that has a zip
in lining. Forget umbrellas, hats work the best. Umbrellas in the city
don't quite work, too many people on the sidewalks at different levels
with their umbrellas (it's a visual, and IT"S A BIG PAIN in the butt).

See SoHo if you can (again get a map), it's a section of New York that
has lots of galleries with contemporary work, some serious, some
funny,some puzzling, all worth talking about. There are many cafe's and
shops down in SoHo as well.

AND keep your eyes open....saw Henry Winkler in the streets the other
day. Over the years have bumped into everyone from Woody Allen to Sam
Harris, with people like Jackie Mason, the dancers from Chicago, Patti
Lupone, and Dustin Hoffman thrown in for good measure. Celebs are all
over New York City, and no one bothers them...just one of us folks.

Whew....

San D

---