Re: New York, New York

---------

MarshArt_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 16:43:36 PST

In a message dated 2/13/01 12:03:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
komandv@yahoo.com writes:

> 've been watching the weather up there trying to figure
> out what type of clothes to bring. Do you New Yorkers,
> have any suggestions?

Agghhhhhhhhhh! I am soooo jealous. I wanna go! Having been a former New
Yorker, I know my way around. The weather is NY is cool to cold for
Floridians; For others it will be spring-like. I was there one May (as a
Floridian) and was chilled to the bone. On the other hand, when I lived in
the mountain areas north of the City, I was used to teens to below 0 so 40's
and 50's were pleasant to me. We went to the beach if it was in the 60's.
Now, in South, FL for 26 yrs., it would kill me.

My suggestion, Vivian, is to layer clothes and peel as needed. A wind breaker
is a must. New York gets blustery in March.You are north of our jet stream so
you should be more used to cooler weather than I am here in the tropics.

It may be a little early to catch spring in Central Park which is accessible
from the Met Museum area. Never go there at night. If you MUST see Times
Square ( Hooker's Crack Paradise) hang onto your wallets. Try to stay out of
the subways. Use surface transportation. And, please, don't walk around
looking like a "country hick" ( no offense please). Those 10 gallon hats
make you a target. Look like you know where you are going and put nothing in
your back pockets. However, don't worry,,,,most of the areas you will be in
are pretty good.

The best time you will have is watching the New Yorkers as they pass by. They
are unique. One of my favorite past-times was to sit on the steps of the Met
and people watch. Bring a sketchbook!

Marsha

---