Re: relief sculptures

---------

Bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 16:05:09 PST

In a message dated 02/13/2001 10:16:35 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tmason@io.com writes:

> Have any of you ever done bas-relief sculpture with cardboard then covered
> with aluminum foil and india ink,etc. etc.? The technique looks really
> neat-like cast metal.

I am currently doing a relief with mattboard covers with wallboard paste.
when dry use gesso to prime and then a dark value of Acrylic. Using a dry
brush technique apply lighter values that hit the raised areas of the
flattened wallboard paste and it look like stone, yet light. Very effective
and quick.

The mattboard is reinforced with ribs in the back for strength the boards a
re glued and taped to secure them together. We are doing nonobjective design
that are geometric in nature.

Ken Schwab
San Jose, CA

---