Bas relief

---------

From: Rick (rlarson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 15:43:23 PST

I do bas-relief with 3rd grade usually. We look at an Assyrian panel of
a winged person( name escapes me at this moment...) I have a parent who
works at the local cardboard box factory and he gives me the cardboard
cut outs or any cardboard that I need. We glue shapes to make mythical
animals. Glue the shapes to the cardboard and then glue the surface and
then cover with heavy duty aluminum foil. Cover with ink & let the ink
dry and then we steel wool the ink off. I have used the same technique
to make an Aztec calendar with 5th graders-( I think that idea camd from
Arts and Activities. I have also used this technique on paper towel
holders ( cut into wrist band sizes or flat pc. to make concha belts) )
to make the Navajo jewelry. Many uses- Betsy

---