Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Face Jugs--Slave Pottery Web links

From: JDecker (JDecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 17:32:20 PST

Next year I am doing my African/African American unit on portrait vessels.
Earlier this year, face jugs was a popular item on this list. My vessels
will also be inspired by the lost wax bronze cast portraits from ancient
Benin (Nigeria). I haven't checked to see if these are still active.

Brief into to history of face jugs
Contemporary ceramic artist

Contemporary potter

Jim Bozeman- contemporary

Dave the Slave-

Slavery in Carolina- colono ware

African American Women and Medicine: Expanding Interpretations of Colono

Colonial era pottery used by African slaves

Burlon Craig

N. Carolina- Lesson Plan
History- pottery in N Carolina

Contemporary- North Carolina