Re: Mycenae/gold leaf

---------

From: Jayna Ledbetter (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 14:30:25 PST

I don't have a lesson planned out, but I can tell you
briefly why I am inspired. Mycenae is an ancient
fortress on top of a mountain-it may even be a
cemetery-memory fails me- (site of famous lion's
gate). I can't remember what museum I was in in
Greece, but it had so much gold jewelry that was found
there. Anything from bracelets, earrings, necklaces.
There were also funerary masks and one was even for a
BABY! It was so eerie! The gold was very, very thin
and had obviously been placed over the child's face
and molded to fit (eyes, nostrils, and mouth were cut
out-if you can form a mental picture). Anyway, any of
the lessons involving these materials (cardboard,
foil, India ink) could be used in conjunction with a
history intro to Mycenae and ancient Greece. I'm
pretty sure I don't have any India ink hmmm...anyone
know an alternative?? My parents are in food service
so I know I could get some regular silver aluminum
foil in bulk, but I would love to have the gold stuff.
Whoever mentioned sharing (sorry-I have the digest and
deleted the whole thing before writing down your name)
I have around 80 sixth graders (that is being
generous- probably closer to 75.) Thanks.
Jayna