Re: inner city teaching prob(Dennis)

---------

Holly112_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 21:17:01 PST

Dear Dennis,

Oh, do I know where you're coming from!!!! I am also serving as
the-every-year-a-new-art-teacher-position, in a poorly run school, and I have
the same daily fires to put out as you! But, we'll make it, I think, and
every year should get easier! I can't really control how the school is run,
but I can do what I can in my own classroom! Try to focus on your small
victories and look at them as big satisfaction. I'm touched to see a few
hard-core-misbehaviored girls who visit me often. They ended up doing good
work for me, and seek me out to talk, now that Art is over for them. That is
getting me through the day. I am trying to believe that I CAN do it again! I
also found that (worthy) praise works WAY BETTER than pointing out what's
wrong with class behavior. Good luck to you! Anytime you want to vent, this
is the place to do it. Some days you just feel sorry for yourself and your
own pep talk doesn't work as well as the good folks on this list!

Thanks to all of you!

Holly :0)

In a message dated 2/12/01 4:03:56 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Daceballos@aol.com writes:

> I've
> been making them work, calling parents, working with counsellors and have
> had
> to amend some of my classroom management techniques. Things are starting to
> turn around, but there are still a lot of fires to put out every day.
> Dennis in Stockton, CA

---