More Lessons for Black History Month

---------

From: JDecker (JDecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 19:51:49 PST

These just came in on my Marco Polo study guide. I put them on my African
American Art/History page.

Lesson Plan on slavery (maybe tie in with Dave the Slave pottery--and quilt
making)
http://www.edsitement.neh.gov/lessonplans/families_bondage.html

Learning the blues (Definitely tie in with Romare Bearden--Jacob
Lawrence--Woody's collagraph lesson--Shar posted this one earlier)
http://edsitement.neh.gov/lessonplans/blues.html

Harriet Tubman Integrated Unit (good for elementary grades)
http://artsedge.kennedy-center.org/teaching_materials/curricula/curriculum_u
nits.cfm?curriculum_unit_id=12 The students will learn about Harriet
Tubman through music, art, dance, literature, and reference materials.
This is a L---O---N---G URL---you will probably have to copy and paste to
get the link to work....or go to my page:
http://www2.wcoil.com/~mdecker/afri-am.htm
I put this lesson on Comprehensive Arts page, too.

I had a nice surprise when I got to school today...One of my co-workers
picked up a book for me on African American hsitory while he was in
Washinton DC...book was free (I think) and came with posters....Good stuff
for Interdisciplinary units with music and social studies. I was surprised
to see the number of songs from my church hymnal that are African Amercian
spirituals (many of my grandparents favorite songs, too). I guess I will
have to make Black History month go on into March this year if I want to
cover everything I planned...I have two Mexican students--so we are having
our own Mexican History month with 6th graders.

Marco Polo ( http://marcopolo.worldcom.com/index.shtml ) is free and has a
lot of good info and lesson plans for teachers:
http://marcopolosearch.org
This site is a "launch pad" that takes you to other educational sites. I
personally do not use Marco Polo much---but I can see how useful it can be.

---