Re: seating charts

---------

From: Dorothy Kane (creative-metals_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 14:52:26 PST

> I found...as a new teacher...the best way to establish who is "boss" in
your room is to make a seating chart. I know this might sound silly for
older students... <

Some of us not-so-new teachers assign seats-particularly in Intro courses or
with inherited students. Silly or not, it is a strategy that works, and
students may grumble but they accept it. It is actually of some comfort to
some. I've learned that some kids may eventually gravitate away from this
chart. If behavior is responsible and they are making positive growth, no
problem. If the result is interference in learning for themselves or
others, they are asked to return to their assigned seat. I do give everyone
some dignified/confidential options from day #1 to inform me if the seating
assignment is uncomfortable or bad for them.