Re: Use of hand tools

---------

From: marcy bogdanich (marcy_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 07:35:44 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: <Jhirunrtx@aol.com>
To: ArtsEdNet Talk <artsednet@lists.getty.edu>
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2001 8:10 PM
Subject: Re: Use of hand tools

> When I taught pre-school, I used to have one of the center activites for
four
> year olds a 3 inch board, large nails and two small ball-pean (sp?)
hammers.
> They loved it. It's great for eye-hand coordination and no one every got
> hurt.
> Right now, I don't have any tools or projects I could do with my
elementary
> kids, but I would love to in the future. I also teach at a private art
> studio part-time and the kids have tools and donated wood pieces to make
> sculpture. They love it. I think if you train the kids, and set rules
and
> guidelines, tools can be safely used in the classroom. JH
>
> ---
I have used coping saws and balsa wood with my 5th graders. We made Totem
Poles and they loved using the saws. In a Rainstick unit, my third graders
used awls to punch holes in their tubes. I made them all wear safety
glasses. Some used the coping saws to trim the toothpicks at the finish. I
will say trimming WAS difficult but a few tried it. The kids were great.
Given proper use and safety instructions, kids will rise to the level you
expect of them.