Gabrielles don't know test

---------

From: The Erickson's (Jorgen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 05:24:34 PST

Gabrielle, Re: I start each year with a tell me what you DON"T know test.
I like this! Could you post your questions?

I always ask my 6th graders on the first day-who thinks you are good at art
and who thinks you are not? With a little encouragement they will usually
be honest. This is NOT to tell me who is good and who is not. It DOES give
me an idea of their security and comfort level with art. Also helps me with
planning. This 9 weeks, out of 60 kids I could only get 4 to acknowledge
they were good. After 2 days their insecurity was obvious. I immediately
revised my lesson plans and taught a couple of lesson where "you really
can't fail". I have also focused more this nine weeks on semi-abstract as
realism tends to frighten this group.

Now, after 5 weeks i'm happy to say they all come to class happy and secure.
Several have told me "I am good at art after all" and 2 parents have come
by especially to see "my child's work displayed in the hall" as the kids
went home and told how they had been successful for the first time.

I love working with talented kids but developing confidence and "latent"
talent in the "other" kids is the big joy for me.

Thanks! Cindy